Villa star nearing exit

Juventus have made an approach for Aston Villa defender Olof Mellberg according to Villa boss Martin O'Neill.

The player has been linked with a move to the Turin club for some time now and Mellberg himself has failed to deny the speculation."I will not comment on rumours or newspaper stories on this matter," said Mellberg.

When asked if he could deny he had been in Italy, he replied: "I do not want to comment on anything at this stage. "This rumour has just as much to do with Aston Villa also.

"Whether I sign for someone else or agree an extension with Villa, or whatever I may yet decide, it will become official fairly quickly but nothing has been done yet."

It would obviously be a big loss if Villa were to lose Mellberg and that is looking increasingly likely. Mellberg has been at the club for over six years now and I'm sure all the Villa fans will be upset to see him leave, if he indeed does leave Villa Park.

I feel it is a shame to see O'Neill receive no money for the player because in my view he would easily be worth £4 or £5 million. It will be interesting to see how Mellberg fairs in the Champions League next season with Juve.

 

0 comments: