Young set for Addicks Exit

Charlton defender Luke Young has today handed in a transfer request after he became increasingly unhappy at the club. "I've grown increasingly frustrated with the way contract negotiations have been conducted by Charlton," said Young. "I appreciate there has been a change in management but this does not account for the club overlooking contractual obligations to review my contract and allowing three separate deadlines to pass.

"I can only assume they do not want to extend therefore I have handed in a transfer request." As Young was declaring - Charlton announced that they had offered Young a new three-year contract. "Luke is a key member of our squad and we have offered him a lucrative new deal," said Charlton chairman Richard Murray.

"He is an England international and his performances over the past few seasons, including last term when he was the club captain, have been excellent." The England international played in Sven Goran Eriksson's side during the World Cup qualification campaign, but like team-mate Darren Bent he was not selected for the 23-man squad for the finals.

I am not really surprised that Young has handed in the transfer request because I'm not sure Iain Dowie is the man to lead Charlton into the future. I think that if Young was to move to someone like West Ham then that will improve his England chances in the future. Young is a very good player and I hope that whoever he signs for that he does well!

 

0 comments: