Gaydamak to help save Pompey

Portsmouth have today unveiled new joint owner of the club Alexandre Gaydamak but the Russian multi-millionaire has said that he is no Abramovich. On the day that they have unveiled a new joint owner they also unveiled Benjani Mwaruwari as a new club record signing at £4.1 million from French outfit Auxere. Exciting times for Pompey fans!


Gaydamak has secured a 50-50 partnership with current chairman Milan Mandaric, having invested £15 million of his own money in the South Coast club. However, whilst there has been talk of investment in the region of £100 million, Gaydamak admits he is not on the same level as Chelsea's billionaire owner. "I don't know the gentleman (Abramovich) personally but I have the utmost respect for him and admire him very much," he said.

"I am very uncomfortable with comparisons between us, it is a different league - I am very small and he is very big, I can't compare myself to him. "I took the advice of my own advisers for this and that's it. My ambition for this football club first and foremost is to stay in The Premiership and at the end of the season we will see what we can do. "I see myself as a person who found an opportunity and a very strong challenge, not a saviour. You think I'm the saviour? That is a joke.''

But Mwaruwari probably won't be the only signing in January because the club have already been linked with several other decent players such as Benni McCarthy and Carlo Cudicini to name two. I think Gaydamak looks like a nice guy and I think he will be able to as he said stay in the Premiership this season and then push on. Good luck to him and Pompey.

 

0 comments: