Carr latest to call time on international carrer

Newcastle right-back Stephen Carr has become the third player this week to call time on his International carrer for Ireland after they failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup. Carr joins Manchester United captain Roy Keane and Birmingham full back Kenny Cunningham who also quit the international scene during the week. The full back's decision comes as something of a surprise as he is still only 29 and has only won 39 caps for his country. "I have made my decision, and there is no going back for me now," Carr told Newcastle's official website. "I just feel the time is right to call it a day with Ireland. It was disappointing for the squad, the manager, and the whole country that we didn't qualify for the World Cup.



"I would have loved to have represented my country in Germany next summer and maybe called it quits after that, but it wasn't to be. "Failing to qualify for the World Cup was a huge disappointment for me personally. I missed the last World Cup because of injury, and this time we ended up finishing fourth in the group so we didn't go through. "I think it's time for me to stand aside now, and let some of the younger lads coming through have the opportunity to play for Ireland. "I'll be 34 the next time the World Cup comes around and at that stage of my career I wouldn't feel as though I could do myself or Ireland justice in the competition should we get through. "This has been a tough decision for me to make, but I have no doubt it is the correct one for everyone concerned."

Very surprising news to see Carr quiting the Ireland team because he is only 29 years old. He has been a great player for Ireland over the years but I thought he would at least stay on until the European Championships in 2008, but he feels it's time to stop playing international football. Alot of news has been coming out of the Ireland camp recently after they failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup, including the manager to be sacked, Roy and Kenny quiting the international scene but I was certainly not expecting anything like this news.

 

0 comments: