Venables keen on Ireland job

Former England manager Terry Venables has said today that he would be interested in the vacant Ireland post. The 62-year-old Venables has emerged as the favourite to succeed Brian Kerr but has yet to hold talks with the F.A.I. He said: "I've been offered quite a lot of positions. But if something came up that was special, like Ireland which is international, it may be interesting."


A number of big name managers have been linked with the job but so far no one has been appointed. The FAI has been on the lookout for a new manager since deciding not to renew Kerr's contract four weeks ago. Venables said last week that he was not in the running for the job and the F.A.I had also said that they had not talked with the former Leeds manager.

I would not really be in favour of Venables becoming the new Ireland boss being an Irish man meself. He is old and I don't think he has done enough to win me over. I would love someone like Martin O'Neill but it appears as though that that is not going to happen because about a month ago he ruled himself out of the running.

 

0 comments: